The three major versions of Python are 1.x, 2.x and 3.x. These are subdivided into minor versions, such as 2.7 and 3.3.Code written for Python 3.x is guaranteed to work in all future versions. Both Python Version 2.x and 3.x are used currently. Python has several different implementations, written in various languages. Ex: CPython, CPython is an implementation of Python
- Easy to Use: Python is easy to very easy to use and high level language.
- Expressive Language : The sense of expressive is the code is easily understandable
- Interpreted Language: interpreter executes the code line by line at a time. This makes debugging easy and thus suitable for beginners.
- Cross-platform: Python can run equally on different platforms such as Windows, Linux, UNIX, Macintosh etc. Thus, Python is a portable language.
- Free and Open Source: Python language is freely available (python.org).
- Object-Oriented language: Concept of classes and objects comes into existence.
- Extensible: It implies that other languages such as C/C++ can be used to compile the code and thus it can be used further in your python code.
- Large Standard Library: Python has a large and broad library.
- GUI Programming: Graphical user interfaces can be developed using Python.
- Integrated: It can be easily integrated with languages like C, C++, and JAVA etc.
Python as a whole can be used in any sphere of development.
- Console Based Application : it can be used to develop console based applications.eg: IPython.
- Audio or Video based Applications: example applications are: TimPlayer, cplay etc.
- 3D CAD Applications: Fandango is a real application which provides full features of CAD.
- Web Applications: Python can also be used to develop web based application. Some important developments are: PythonWikiEngines, Pocoo, PythonBlogSoftware etc.
- Enterprise Applications: Python can be used to create applications which can be used within an Enterprise or an Organization. Some real time applications are: OpenErp, Tryton, Picalo etc.
- Applications for Images: Using Python several application can be developed for image. Applications developed are: VPython, Gogh, imgSeek etc.