Ubuntu for Android
Ubuntu for Android requires minimal custom hardware enablement, allowing fast and cost-efficient core integration. It requires a core based on Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) or any subsequent version.
Ubuntu and Android share the same kernel. When docked, the Ubuntu OS boots and runs concurrently with Android. This allows both mobile and desktop functionality to co-exist in different runtimes.
Shared services and applications are delivered using a Convergence API module which ensures the tight integration between desktop and mobile environments. Work is balanced across the cores of the phone. When the handset is not docked, both CPU cores transfer their full power to Android.
- Automatic security updates
- Defence against virusesAnti-phishing
- File encryption
- Password protection
- Built with security in mind
- Fast, secure web browsing - Chromium web browser
- Online calendar sharing - Google Calendar
- Collaborative documents in the cloud -Google Docs
- Simple, efficient email -Thunderbird email client
- Facebook and Twitter integration -Gwibber
- Play movies in all common formats -VLC Player
- Edit and share your movies -PiTiVi
- Plays all common music files -Ubuntu Music Player
- Save and edit all your photos -Ubuntu Photo Gallery
- Make calls direct from the desktop -Android dialer